When I started this blog, it started out as a scathing response to the daily posts about what people are thankful for. It also was a response to this trend of skipping Halloween and Thanksgiving and heading straight to Christmas. Every time I turned the radio on and heard Christmas music, an overwhelming amount of rage would course through me. I’d think to myself “WHY ARE PEOPLE SKIPPING THANKSGIVING? STOP GLORIFYING CONSUMERISM MASKED AS CHRISTMAS! BE THANKFUL BEFORE YOU ARE MERRY! WHAT’S WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY”. However after the Xanax kicked in, I returned to my normal temperament, I realized that rather than being angry and bitter about this, there is a lesson I can learn.
That lesson being, be thankful everyday, not just in November or on Thanksgiving. So I’ve complied a list of things that (I think) we can all be thankful for, everyday.
1. Freedom. There was a time when freedom wasn’t an option. It was given to a select group of people who deemed themselves superior. Today, while we still struggle with this idea of everyone being equal, everyone is free. I also remember that this freedom comes with a price, millions of men and woman have given their lives so that I may enjoy this right. It is something I often take for granted because I fail to realize its importance.
2. Family. Whether blood related or not, it makes no difference. After a trying year, full of triumphs and failures, I realized family is the only thing I really have in life. Family is not necessarily a brother or a sister, but the people who at the end of the day have your back no matter what. They are the safety net you have cast for which you land when you jump.
3. Food. What you choose to nourish your body with is completely up to you, and no one else. The fact that there is a grocery store, not even a mile from my house is a blessing. Access to a store full of groceries, ready for you to pick up and prepare with little to no effort.
4. Water. Clean, purified water, that comes directly from a tap in the kitchen. 3.4 million people die each year from water related diseases, and yet there are still people in the world who have no access to clean water. I cannot imagine not being able to take a shower, wash my dishes, do laundry, etc. Again, something I take for granted because it has become an everyday thing for me.
5. A roof over my head. Tonight, as 60 mile and hour winds and torrential downpours occur outside, I am fortunate enough to be sitting inside of my house, safely. With the winter season headed our way, freezing temperatures will soon be a nightly occurrence and I have a warm place to stay, every night. Protected from the elements and my own sanctuary to decompress. While owning my own home has at times been a stressful experience, it is one that I will never regret.
6. Friends. People who you surround yourself with; to vent, build you up, make you laugh, be there when you cry etc. They are your life companions who help you navigate this crazy thing called life.
7. Education. Access to education to enrich your life and broaden your horizons. Education allows you to better yourself and create more opportunities.
8. Senses. Without all 5 senses your life would be significantly harder. Sight- you see the beauty of the world, hearing- you hear voices, songs, rain and laughter, touch- holding a hand, and textures, smell- your favorite perfume, home made meals, and flowers— SMELL THE ROSES!!!! taste- chocolate, spices, sweets, bitters, and sweets.
9. Speech. Your voice is what you have to articulate your feelings, thoughts, a major outlet!
10. Health. If you are lucky to be alive, breathing, healthy, and physically able to be upright and walking around, don’t take it for granted.
11. Mind. It’s your ability to think, remember memories, solve problems and store information.
12. Fears. If you are able to be afraid of something, you are lucky enough to know that there is an opportunity that you passionately want. Your disappointments allow you to know the things that matter the most to you in life.
13. Dreams. ”If your dreams don’t scare you a little bit, they’re probably not big enough”. Whether you fail or succeed the opportunity to go after your dreams is not something you can take lightly.
14. Pets/ Animals. Pets always love you unconditionally. They are your furchild, when you take them on, remember its for life, a companion for life. While you have your life, friends family and other distractions, remember, they only have you. Treat them as you would treat a child.
15. Laughter. It really is the best medicine.
16. Internet. Access to information, education, and to communicate with friends and family who live far away.
17. Books. Ways to lose yourself in other’s world.
18. Music. The way to transform your mood instantaneously.
19. Time. Shows you how far you’ve come, and how much more you still have to come.
20. Enemies. To realize what/who you do not want to be.
21. Random Acts of Kindness. To restore your faith in humanity.
22. Children. To remind you that there is innocence still in the world.
23. Life. You are alive and breathing.
24. Challenges. They show you what you are made of and how strong you truly are.
25. Faith/ Spirituality. Gives you something to believe in when times get hard and you need somewhere to turn.
26. Compassion. You have feelings.
27. Wisdom. Your ability to decide between right and wrong.
28. Nature. The world is beautiful, take a look around.
29. Travel. Your ability to see all aspects of the world and all its beauty.
30. YOU. You are your own person, no one else can be like you, you are unique and special.
BOOM, 30 things to be thankful EVERY DAY.